223 N. Pine St.
Cherokee, Iowa 51012
Trial & Appellate
George W. Wittgraf
Born in Washington D.C.; admitted to bar, 1975, Iowa; also admitted to practice before U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa.
Preparatory education, Grinnell College (B.A., 1967); Rutgers University (M.A., 1968); Legal education, Drake University Law School (J.D., 1974).
Administrative Assistant, Lieutenant Governor, Iowa, 1973-76. Assistant County Attorney, Cherokee County, Iowa, 1976-83. Chairman, Board of Directors, Legal Services Corporation, 1990-93. Private Practice: Cherokee, Iowa, 1976-present.
Member: Cherokee County, Iowa State and American Bar Associations.
The firm has its origin in the individual practice of Lew McDonald, who commenced practice in 1917, at Cherokee, Iowa.
In 1947, Lew McDonald was joined in the law practice by David L. Sayre, and the firm operated under the name of McDonald & Sayre at 221 1/2 West Main Street. The office moved to 212 1/2 West Main Street in 1948.
In 1951, James L. McDonald joined the firm, and the three lawyers practiced under the name of McDonald, Sayre & McDonald. In 1955, William B. McDonald joined the firm and was a partner until 1959. Lew McDonald died in 1963.
In 1976, George W. Wittgraf joined the firm, and its name was changed to McDonald, Sayre & Wittgraf. A new building was built at 223 North Pine Street, which is the current location of the office.
In 1985, James L. McDonald became an Iowa District Court Judge. He had to discontinue his practice of law, and he left the firm. The practice began operating under the name of Sayre & Wittgraf.
In 1995, Daniel A. Meloy joined the firm, which later became known as Sayre, Wittgraf & Meloy. David L. Sayre retired in 1997 and died in 2008. Daniel A. Meloy retired in 2010, and the firm was renamed the Wittgraf Law Firm.